Come and help us celebrate the successful completion of Mālama Hulē‘ia’s first year. There will be plenty of food and entertainment. Check out this flyer:
Here are some accomplishments of our first year:
- Received NOAA/HCF Community Restoration Partnership grant.
- Hired two great project managers.
- Published an informative website and a Facebook page.
- Formed partnerships with over 40 organizations in our community.
- Held 24 days of mangrove clearing and native replanting in our Pu’ali / Niumalu demonstration site.
- Recruited over 500 persons who contributed almost 2600 hours of volunteer work to help with the field work.
- Received much more volunteer help in non-field work support.
- Manually cleared mangrove and replanted one acre and 440 feet of shoreline.
- Obtained a second NOAA/HCF grant to continue our work on the demonstration site for a second year.
- Received financial support from community members allowing us to plan long term for eradication of mangrove from the whole Hule’ia watershed.
This is just the first of many more celebrations to come. But you do want to be part of the first.